When it comes to decorating and interior design of homes, one of the key and somewhat difficult choices is deciding between matte and glossy ceramics. Each type of flooring lends a different aesthetic to the space and can have a varied impact on the feel and functionality of that area. In this decision-making process, it's important to strike a balance between functionality and aesthetics to make the best choice for each home. If you also want to know whether matte or glossy ceramics are better, stay with us until the end of this article.
Features of Glossy Ceramics
Glossy ceramics, with their visual and functional features, can have a significant impact on the interior space. Some of the prominent features of this type of ceramics include:
- Shine and Beautiful Appearance: Glossy ceramics with smooth and clear surfaces reflect light, giving the space a shiny and luxurious appearance.
- Light Expansion: The reflection of light from the surface of glossy ceramics can help brighten dark and small spaces, creating a sense of greater spaciousness.
- Variety of Patterns and Colors: Glossy ceramics are available in a wide range of colors and patterns, compatible with various home decor styles.
- Easy to Clean: To understand whether matte or glossy ceramics are better, consider this important feature. Glossy ceramics, due to their smooth and non-porous surface, are easy to maintain and clean, with stains easily removable.
- Slipperiness: Due to their smooth and glossy surfaces, these types of ceramics are more slippery compared to matte ceramics, especially when wet.
- Less Durability Against Wear and Visible Scratches: While glossy ceramics are easy to clean, they are less resistant to wear compared to matte ceramics and scratches, especially on dark colors and wide surfaces, are more noticeable.
- Suitability: These ceramics are suitable for use on all wall applications and in floor applications like residential spaces, boutique stores, private offices, etc., with low foot traffic.
Features of Matte Ceramics
Matte ceramics have unique features that distinguish them from other types of ceramics. To understand whether matte ceramics are better than glossy ones, let's look at some of these features:
- Non-Reflective Surface: Unlike glossy ceramics, matte ceramics have a surface that does not reflect light directly. This feature makes stains, fingerprints, and dirt less visible.
- Slip Resistance: Due to their relatively rougher texture, matte ceramics often have more friction, thus providing safer surfaces for areas like bathrooms and kitchens.
- Durability Against Wear: Matte ceramics are highly resistant to wear, making them suitable for use in high-traffic areas.
- Modern Style: Matte ceramics are popular for modern and contemporary designs, as their non-reflective and subtle looks harmonize with this style.
- Easy Maintenance: Although all ceramics are relatively easy to maintain, matte surfaces usually require less cleaning as they show fewer stains and imperfections.
- Minimal Light Reflection: This type of ceramic is suitable for spaces that do not want much light reflection from surfaces; such as living rooms or other areas that want to avoid intense lights.
- Design Flexibility: Matte ceramics can be combined with various decor styles and used in spaces with different styles.
- Usage: These ceramics are used for high-traffic areas in both interior and exterior floor and wall applications, including facades.
Matte ceramics, due to their characteristics, are a good choice for flooring or wall covering in many interior spaces including homes, commercial environments, and public places. With all these features, it's up to you to decide whether matte ceramics are better than glossy ones.
Glossy Ceramics in Home Decor
The polished and glossy surface of ceramics gives a chic, clean, and luxurious look to the space. These ceramics reflect light, thus making dark and dim spaces appear brighter. This property can be especially useful in dimly lit urban apartments. For living rooms or entryways where you want to create a strong initial impact, glossy ceramics can be a good option.
The reflection of light by glossy ceramics can make smaller spaces appear larger; this feature can be a smart design strategy to visually increase the size of rooms. The glossiness of porcelain floor tiles might be problematic in areas like bathrooms and kitchens, where there is high humidity and a risk of slipping.
In some decors, the glossy surface of the ceramics might appear overly polished and cold, not blending well with warmer and more natural elements in the space. However, when used correctly in interior design, glossy ceramics can add more depth to a home and create stunning focal points. Therefore, it cannot be definitively said whether matte is better than glossy, as each is suitable for different spaces.
Matte Ceramics in Home Decor
Matte ceramics, with their unique texture and less light reflection, provide a natural and uniform appearance to the space, suitable for creating a calm environment with moderate lighting. These types of porcelain
wall ceramics in places with soft lighting and in natural colors like gray, beige, or brown can create a modern yet warm space.
Using carpets with soft textures and furniture with unique coverings and gray tones can also complement the interior design and create a balanced and pleasant look with matte ceramics. Although stains on matte ceramics are rarely visible, they are still easy to clean and, due to their non-slip surface, are more suitable for areas like kitchens and bathrooms.
Matte ceramics blend beautifully with natural elements like wood and stone, evoking a sense of balance and harmony with nature. Matte ceramics show less scratching and water stains, making them ideal for high-traffic areas.
Matte or Glossy Ceramics: Which is Better?
The choice between matte and glossy ceramics depends more on personal taste, needs, and the intended use in a specific space. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages. Glossy ceramics, with their high light reflection, add an element of brightness and illumination to the decor and can give a modern and stylish look to the interior.
On the other hand, matte ceramics, with their uniform appearance and more natural look, are an ideal choice for designs seeking calm and understated beauty. Ultimately, the use of glossy or matte ceramics requires careful planning and wise selection to ensure that, along with beauty, functionality, and durability of the product are also guaranteed.
The choice between matte and glossy ceramics depends on the specific conditions of the space, the lifestyle of the people living in it, and their personal taste. Glossy ceramics are an excellent choice for places that need light reflection and a modern, glossy look.
While matte ceramics are recommended for those looking for a minimal look and easier maintenance. Therefore, it is not possible to give a definitive opinion on whether matte is better than glossy, but it is very important that the final decision considers both practical needs and aesthetic aspects. You can also consult interior designers in this regard.